Retail sites have seen a huge influx of visitors from Mobile devices, forcing them to rethink their web strategy to include mobile.
The increase in mobile web traffic has almost certainly put a strain on the Mobile Network Operators abilities to deliver data at speeds necessary for the end user.
2011 has seen some great articles, resources and recommendations for mobile web site performance.
Here is a list of noteworthy articles and resources:-
Maximiliano Firtman’s talk at Velocity 2011 highlighting the difference of mobile browsers and key techniques in optimizing for mobile performance.
Wesley Hales details exactly how to improve mobile performance though a number of HTML5 techniques
A selection of articles focused on Mobile Web Performance
- - 97% of mobile end-user response time happens at the front end
- - How to use network quality as a proxy for measuring mobile performance
- - The impact of HTML delay on mobile business metrics
Google outline key areas for optimizing for Mobile Web
A selection or articles relating to mobile performance
- - Mobile UI performance considerations - Useless downloads of background images in Android
- - Carrier Networks: Down the Rabbit Hole
6. stevesouders.com site on Optimization
Some really great research and tools to help understand Mobile Web Optimization and Performance.
A look at how hardware, software and the mobile network influence mobile performance.
Other note worth articles from 2011: